Tomatoes (Ripe) - Thakkali (Pazhuthathu) - 4 nos.
Raw rice - Pacharisi - 1 cup
Onion - Vengayam - 1 no.
Pearl onion - Sambar vengayam - 1 no.
Ginger - Inji - small quantity
Garlic - Poondu - 3 flakes
Grated/Shredded coconut - Thuriviya thengai - 1 table spoon
Green chillies - Pachai milagai - 2 nos.
Red chillies - Kaintha milagai - 4 nos.
Red chilly powder - Kaintha milagai thul - 1 tea spoon
Garam masala powder - Garam masala thul - 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds - Jeeragam - 1 table spoon
Mustard - Kadugu - 1 tea spoon
Curry leaves - Karuvepilai - small quantity
Coriander leaves - Kothamalli - small quantity
Black gram dal - Ulutham paruppu - 1 table spoon
Bengal gram - Kadalai paruppu - 1 table spoon
Asafoetida - Perungayam - a pinch
Cashew nuts - Munthiri paruppu - small quantity
Ghee - Nei - 2 table spoons
Salt to taste
- Wash and keep rice in pressure cooker. For 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water should be poured if kept in pressure cooker and 4 cups if kept in microwave oven. Add a drop of oil or a pinch of salt so that rice will not get smashed and be well cooked. Always spread the cooked rice in a wide plate so that the ingredients will be mixed well and the variety rice will look good.
- Chopp onions and tomatoes. Smash tomatoes after peeling off the skin. This can be done if tomatoes are soaked in hot water.
- Grind ginger and garlic and make a paste. Grind grated coconut, pearl onion, green chillies, cumin seeds and make to a paste. Grind and keep garam masala powder, I have mentioned how to prepare garam masala in podi varieties. Keep other ingredients ready.
- Heat ghee in a pan/kadai, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, add asafoetida, curry leaves, fry bengal gram and black gram dal, 4 red chillies, onion, now add ginger garlic paste, little salt mix them well and fry till it turns brown (in medium flame). Now add smashed tomatoes and little salt, chilly powder and garam masala powder. Mix them well.
- The quantity should become half, we have to cook till it reaches that level. Now switch off the stove and mix with the boiled white rice. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried cashew nuts.
Hot tomato rice is delicious and ready to be served. This can be served along with onion/curd pachadi and potato chips. This can be served for 2 people. This requires only 30 minutes to cook.
Note: Add only 1 tea spoon of garam masala powder not more than that.
Optional: Ingredients can be added or removed. Tomato sauce can be added if required.
If hunger makes you irritable, better eat and be pleasant.